After riding my mountain bike from Adelaide to Darwin in 2005, I was keen for another such adventure, but one that returned to the kind of back roads I travelled when riding from Sydney to Melbourne in 2004. I hatched the idea of riding from the southernmost tip to the northernmost tip of mainland Australia, and rather than riding along the main (coastal) highway, try and ride a straight-line route that would necessarily take me on back roads and through a variety of terrains and climates.

Wilsons Promontory to Cape York by bike - Hughenden

Day: 019
Date: Tuesday, 15 August 2006
Summary: Rest day.
Start: Hughenden
Finish: Hughenden
Daily Kilometres: 0
Total Kilometres: 2518
Weather: Mild early but warm to hot and sunny for the rest of the day with north-east wind.
Accommodation: Motel in Hughenden , Queensland .
Nutrition:
  Breakfast:  Pastries
  Lunch:  Quiche and salad
  Dinner:  Pasta and a milkshake for dinner.
Encounters: None in particular, but the locals were all very friendly.
Highlights: Spending a day wandering around with nothing much to do.
Lowlights: Getting a social phone call from Kev Andrews at 6:00am on the one day on the trip that I had planned to sleep in!

Journal:
Most of the day was spent wandering around the central part of Hughenden soaking up the atmosphere of a remote outback town and attending to a few chores.  Unfortunately, one of the chores turned out to be a load of hand-washing since there is no Laundromat in town.  However, apart from that I found an internet centre providing cheap broadband access and the necessary food stores.  One of the pubs was highly recommended by the locals and I ended up eating both lunch and dinner there on their very pleasant verandah opening on to the sleepy main street.

The day was quite hot and a strong north-east wind was blowing in the morning which made me glad I was not riding although, no doubt, the weather will be the same again tomorrow.

I bought a 2.4 litre fruit juice in a container I will fill with water to see me through the next few days. By my calculation, I will see only one roadhouse, and no other water, shops, accommodation, etc., in the next three days.  I didn’t sleep well last night and I’ve had a bit of a headache most of the day, possibly because I was a bit dehydrated yesterday.  I’ll make sure I get a good sleep tonight rather than make a pre-dawn start.

No comments:

Post a Comment